Summary session 2
Monday 15 May – 13:30-15:00 CET
Each presentation 30 Min + 15 Min discussion
Title: Global and European Carbon Flows & Biomass Availability
Moderation: Edwin Hamoen (WUR)
Global and European Carbon Flows by Ferdinand Kähler and Michael Carus (nova-institute)
Global and European Carbon Flows Compilation of supply and demand of fossil and renewable carbon on a global and European level. The presentation gives a comprehensive, detailed and updated carbon flow data. All data have been corroborated as best as currently possible by scientific publications, feedback from experts and additional research. Remaining gaps and differences are transparently depicted and explained as well as possible. Compared to previous reports on carbon flows.
Biomass Availability for the materials transition by Wolter Elbersen (WUR)
In the next decades biomass plays an increasingly important role in a sustainable circular economy. But this comes with a number of challenges in actually getting access to sufficient amounts of feedstock at the right quality at the right time at a viable cost. When should supply chains be local? Should biomass be commoditized? How to mitigate the seasonal fluctuations in biomass availability? This presentation will provide insights in how do deal with these issues.
The presentation will include:
- Categorizing biomass types crops vs primary, secondary tertiary residues.
- Circular biomass use – how to assess what applications are more circular than others including applications for chemicals and materials.
- Sourcing first generation (food type) feedstocks vs second generation non-food lignocellulosic feedstocks.
- Case studies of making feedstock available in a sustainable way
- The role of commodities in making biomass available and providing security of supply
- Minimizing impacts: reducing footprints, food security issues and maintaining soil quality.
Green renewable solutions 2023Registration website for Green renewable solutions 2023
Wageningen Food & Biobased Researchbackoffice.firstname.lastname@example.org
Wageningen Food & Biobased Researchbackoffice.email@example.com://event.wur.nl/greenrenewablesolutions2023
Green renewable solutions 2023Green renewable solutions 20230.00EUROnlineOnly2019-01-01T00:00:00Z
Wageningen University & ResearchWageningen University & ResearchDroevendaalsesteeg 4 6708 PB Wageningen Netherlands